Pages

Monday, May 26, 2014

Basketweave Flop :o

I went to my final Wilton course 2 class this past Saturday. (flowers and cake designs).  I was the only one that showed up!  Talk about a girl feeling special, I had Lynda all to myself.  I was able to ask more questions and just over all have small talk. It's a little hard to do that when you have others in class and I don't want them thinking, here she goes again...lol. But I take my decorating seriously, I want to do this for real for real, not just a hobby.  And who better to get info from???  My instructor! :-). Anyway I had to bring a cake that was already dirty iced or crumb coated (means the same thing but I watched Cake Boss so much in the past, Buddy would say, "Dirty ice" and I've heard others say, Crumb coat. Since it was just lil' ole' me in class I was able to pick out the Basketweave design I wanted to do. Spoiler alert...I'm over my sons Cub Scout pack and went directly from class to the event and left everything in the trunk...enough said. I have an issue staying on a straight line without a guide but wanted to try this without a guide. Epic fail, my basket weave starting to look like a roller coaster. But that's okay, it was my first time, and between grad school and my full time job (and of course family life), I don't have much time as I would like to practice my decorating. So I know for a fact that the more I practice I will get better ;-). The top was my own design, I wanted to pipe reverse shells and my brain did something total different. If you're wondering why my cake has tons of crumbs on top, it's because I ran out of time and needed to get a design on there and didn't have time to add another coating of buttercream.  So here's my lovely cake, flaws and all :-). 


You can see those chocolate crumbs peeking through...lol. Remember those flowers from my previous weeks of class?  Well here they are!!  Well some, definitely not all of them. 


This is what happens when you leave a cake in your trunk on an 80 degrees day in Chicagoland!!!


Now you all know that I can't go down like this, there will definitely be a basketweave part 2 coming soon. In my world that means at least 2 weeks if not 3..lol.



No comments:

Post a Comment